Two years ago today I wrote my first blog post. I’ve evolved from a Boden wearing Mom to a Mom with piercings and a passion for fashion (who still loves Boden too!). I have so much fun blogging and I want you all to know more about me, though you may not be interested 😉
Here are my 25 things:
1. I miss the UK everyday, but if I returned, after 15 years in Atlanta, I would miss here just as much.
2. I have a BSc. and PhD in Biochemistry and and MBA – I’m a nerd.
3. I have a constant battle with gaining weight and have tried every diet going – oddly the only thing that works is what I’m doing now – eating less and exercising.
4. I went to an all girls school and hated most of it. All my best friends were guys.
5. I used to hate tattoos but after getting my piercings last year – I now REALLY want one. Mid-life crisis?
6. I am happier now than I have ever been mainly because I have stopped worrying what people think. My friends are all people who love me for who I am, warts and all, and I cherish them.
7. I wear my heart on my sleeve – I have no secrets – I’m a typical Leo.
8. I met my Husband at University when I was just 19, we moved in together after 3 months, and thankfully we grew up together and made it through all the ups and downs. He is my best friend.
9. I wish I had been a Doctor.
10. I hated working in the corporate world – I don’t like to have a boss, I don’t like rules, office attire and behaving ‘appropriately’. I think it’s all smoke and mirrors.
11. I curse like a sailor. I love a good swear word.
12. I am a liberal or put another way I believe in human rights like gay marriage, equality and personal choice.
13. I consider my blogging friends some of my best friends. We talk online everyday. I would never have made it to 2 years without their friendship. They truly accept me for who I am and provide constructive criticism, support and guidance. They make me laugh out loud in front of my computer screen. I love them all more than they know.
14. I miss steak and kidney pudding, fish and chips, curry, Grazia magazine, Tesco Metro, Marks and Spencer, BBC t.v., syrup sponge pudding and Hello magazine.
15. I like spending time on my own. As loud and outgoing as I am, I can also be very introverted.
16. I wish smoking wasn’t deadly – I’d love to still have a cigarette with a glass of wine.
17. My Nana would have been 104 today. She lived with us all her life, the kitchen was her domain – so much so that I never learned to cook or how to use the washing machine until I left home! She was born in Sheffield and widowed when my Mum was just 3. I wish I had asked her more while she was alive.
18. I have a sister (39) and a brother (30) – we are all totally different but love, respect and understand each other. I love spending time with them when I visit the UK.
19. My Mum and Dad have always allowed me to make my own decisions – good and bad – and have supported me always. As much as I confuse them, I know how much they love me and I love them dearly.
20. I have lived in Bury, St. Andrews, London, Lisbon and Atlanta. I want to add more places to that list.
21. I want to learn to ski and scuba dive.
22. I grew up in tiny village called Hawkshaw. At one point there were 6 of us living in a 2 up 2 down terraced house.
23. My first job was as an IT consultant – I can program and LOVE logic.
24. I now work part time for my Husband. I love my job and feel incredibly fortunate that I can work and that I have time for my children.
25. I appreciate and love my readers so much. I am truly thankful to you for reading and love your feedback – thanks for your support. I plan to keep doing this for as long as you all keep reading.
Happy 2nd anniversary Joanna! I love your blog & I can’t wait to see what tattoo you decided to go for 😉 Jane xx
I’ve got to work on the Husband first – he’s dead set against it – maybe another piercing instead while I work on him – I have a pinterest board with some ideas though xx
I really loved reading about you and your life. Crikey, you could be the first fashion blogger with a tattoo sleeve (is that the right terminology?) x
Oh I’d love a full sleeve – my Mum would freak though and I still want to keep her happy at 42 lol 🙂 xx
Thanks for sharing. Surprising, honest and wonderful. Helen ( fashion40ish ) X
Hi Helen – thanks so much – your support means everything. I’m intrigued now which was the most surprising! xx
If it weren’t for blogging we’d never have become friends. Get the tattoo! Not a midlife crisis… fun and beautiful! X
I know Martha – and you are one of the great friends I have made – I love you xx WE really need to set a date for a weekend together this year! We’ll see about the tattoo – I have another piercing I want first 🙂 xx
Happy blog birthday Joanna, loved reading this – Biochemistry – wow! Here to more successful years.
Yes Biochemistry – I loved a good old pipette lol 🙂
Happy anniversary, your style really has evolved in those two years. I personally would like to thank you (and some other bloggers too), for helping me get out of my style rut, Itoo was a boden fanatic, which was fine but as I had no confidence to style outfits myself, I just put them together as per the catelogue, whereas now I love mixing and matching from different shops, and my eyes have been opened to the wonders of zara, all saints and even m&s lol!!
By the way what is your husbands business? I’ve always wondered.
Here’s to the next two years and beyond.
Diane thank you so much – you have always been a fabulous supporter and your comments have always meant so much to me. We work in the publishing business – magazines – it’s fun – and I do the marketing for him, it works well 🙂 I hope our paths cross one day xx
Love this post! Really enjoy your posts and hope hey continue for the a further 2 years and beyond!
Thank you so much for commenting Lauren – so glad you enjoyed the post – I could easily have gone past 25 lol 🙂 xx
Happy Anniversary Joanna. Keep up the fab work xxx
Thank you lovely lady and thank you for your support as always xx
Hi Joanna, loved what you shared. Congrats on your 2 year blogging anniversary. Love from your Brit/Kenya fan, Sue xx
Thank you Sue! 2 years really have flown by! Who knows what I’ll be wearing next January 🙂 xx
happy 2 years! Even though I just found your blog I love the enthusiasm you bring to blogging! People are always surpised when I tell them I have a CPA. I also have a Masters in Accounting and an undergrad in (Bsc) in Science and Business. Nerds love fashion too 🙂
Thank you lovely – I love your blog too!! It’s great finding new blogs to enjoy – there are so many of us out there! Nerds do love fashion too though I was glad to step away from the white lab coat 🙂
I’ll keep reading – love to see what you (and Poppy) are wearing and hear about your family life.
Thank you Louise for your lovely comment – it makes me so happy to hear from readers – I’m not sure I could change my blogging style so it is great to know that what I am doing is enjoyed. It means so much to me xx
Interesting how many things we have in common (not smoking though – I’m an avid non-smoker!) I’ve lived in 4 countries in my life time, and speak 4 languages on a daily basis, have a sis and a bro, ‘grew up’ with my husband, and love being alone, even though I’m a classic extravert 🙂 Happy two years to you, and here’s to many many more! *raises a glass of red wine*
That’s funny Marta – what a lot in common – here’s to us fabulous ladies **clink** xx
Lovely! I’ve never commented on your blog but I read everyone! I couldn’t agree more with the statement about being happy with your self when you stop caring what others think. I too have made this discovery over the last year and am the happiest I’ve ever been! Keep blogging its great to read such a lovely honest blog that makes me smile! Kate xxx
Isn’t it frustrating we didn’t realize it sooner 🙂 I’m so glad I can bring a smile to your face – I really just try to be myself in my writing and I am glad that comes across xx
Brilliant post!!!! I loved every 25 things about you and I enjoyed reading!
As for making very good friends through blogging – I totally agree 🙂
I bet you knew most of them already hey? Like I say there’s not much I keep to myself 🙂 xx
Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary Joanna! Loved learning more about you…..your personality and positivity always shine through which makes your blog a pleasure to read! Keep up the excellent work! xx
Thank you Michelle – I can’t wait to meet you irl soon! xx
Loved reading this honey, congratulations! Xx
Thank you so much and thanks for taking the time to comment xx
I loved reading this post – congrats on the two years and I look forward to reading for many more!
I plan to keep going as long as I can – thank you so much for your support sweetheart xx
Love this post! I always love those ‘ what’s in your handbag’ articles in mags too! I must be nosey x
LOL – me too – we should have a bottle of wine together and I’ll tell you more:) xx
Happy blog birthday Joanna. And I’ve loved meeting you through blogging and now regard you as one of my good and special friends.
BTW I love a good steak and kidney pudding too. I’ll have to invite you to grandmas!
Oh Sue I love you xx I can’t wait to come and sleep on your sofa one night when we’re both back up North:) xx
Happy anniversary, love your blog xx
Thank you so much!! I can’t believe what an amazing response this post got! I love hearing from readers who haven’t commented before. Thank you again xx
Pingback: Rook and helix piercing on my right ear. | Poppy's Style
Great post Joanna, particularly loed number 13!! Love hearing interesting facts about fellow bloggers, it appeals to my nosey side. Keep up the great blogging, here’s to the next 2 years and beyond!! Xxx
Happy 2nd anniversary! Lovely list of things about you – I admire your self awareness and your candour. Good for you!
I love this post! Great hearing more about you. Love your blog, find it very inspirational albeit a bit frustrating as in South Africa we don’t have access to the same range of online stores as you do. Also really like the bangs, they suit you!
Hi I’m new to your blog. Regarding #3, two words: Tracy. Anderson. She will change your body.
Welcome Diana!!! I hope you stick around to read my ramblings:) And yes I’ve heard amazing things about Tracy’s workouts…I’m also considering crossfit – but I do love my running! x