I often get very lazy with accessories. Partly because I forget to add the final flourish, partly because I sometimes feel overdressed with too many, and partly because I’m not sure how to wear them.
I’ve decided that I am going to attempt to incorporate more variety with my accessories over the coming months – that may help me figure out which are for me and which aren’t. When I glance at the list below I’m definitely a creature of habit and some habits are good to break!
1. I’ve always been a lover of scarves and have learned much about how to wear them and what to wear them with from my fellow bloggers. I have a whole drawer full at home. I roll them up and place them by color in the drawer, so I can see what I need with a quick glance. I think I have scarves pretty much nailed.
2. I’ve started to incorporate more hats this year. A couple of fedoras in the summer and now my fabulous new wool and leopard print J.Crew caps are making an appearance. I’d love to try a wool fedora, or even a big boho floppy hat but I’m not sure that is really me. I’m learning, slowly about confident hat wearing.
3. With short hair I was always overwhelmed by large earrings – as much as I love them! Now my hair is growing I am finding it much easier to wear hoops (my all time favorite) again, but I do feel far more comfortable with my little diamond studs. Let’s face it if you have diamonds you might as well wear them! Also having had my earring holes stitched and re-pierced a couple of years ago – after stretching them so much I could see through them – I am loathe to wear heavy pendant earrings ever again!
4. I really struggle with necklaces. I always admire other women who wear great statement necklaces every day. For some reason a necklace is the last piece of jewelry I ever consider. Partly because I like the look of my bare neck, partly because I don’t like to draw attention away from the earrings, and partly because, in all honesty, I find necklaces heavy and cumbersome. I have a couple of Tiffany chains that my Husband bought me that sadly never get worn – I resolve to wear these beauties more, though a statement necklace on a daily basis maybe a step too far for me!
5. I love arm candy. Regardless of my issues with necklaces I can wear bracelets up to my elbows and not be bothered by them. Bangles, chains, cuffs – you name it I love it. I have worn my little Tiffany open heart chain every day for almost five years now. It is part of me. Watches fall into this category too. I believe you can never have too many watches and there are some beauties out there to choose from. I have several from cheap and cheerful sports watches, to a very special one that gets worn most often that my Husband bought me for my 40th. The bigger the better for me when it comes to watches – I can’t do little feminine things – I want a big face with a chunky strap. Arm candy – I love it.
6. As for rings I used to wear a gold one on every finger – uuurgh – it was the early 90s and I should say I was also wearing a black catsuit so my taste was questionable to say the least. Now I prefer a far more subtle approach when it comes to rings. I’ve even put my engagement ring away for now and have been wearing only my Love ring on my left ring finger and my Trinity ring on my right ring finger. Gold is back in favor with me.
7. Finally belts. I am rubbish with belts – I have a whole hanger full of wide belts, jean belts, and skinny belts, yet I tend to wear the same 2 Gap men’s belts all the time. One brown and one black – they are the softest leather and the perfect width for jeans with simple silver buckles. Sometimes I’ll grab the Gucci jean belt, that again my Husband bought me, but the belt on my ultimate wish list is from Hermés.
So there we have it – I’m a girl of simple, very expensive tastes:)
What accessories can you not live without, or do you wish you wore more of?
Finally a couple of outfits from last week. I wore the plum Avenue57 dress for our kindergarten parents’ party on Tuesday evening with a Zara scarf (new but not online) – I adore these dresses – so easy to wear!
And then it was all about comfort with the Diesel Jogg Jeans, Zara t-shirt from the sale, Marks & Spencer Limited jacket and Isabel Marant Bobby sneakers.